CFTR Activity: A product of CFTR quantity and function
Total CFTR activity can be defined as total ion transport mediated by CFTR protein channels at the cell surface. Total CFTR activity is determined by1:
- CFTR quantity: the number of CFTR channels at the cell surface
- CFTR function: the functional ability of each channel to open and transport ions
CFTR quantity and function determine total CFTR activity1-4
Normal CFTR quantity at the cell surface
CFTR quantity is determined by2,3:
Normal CFTR function at the cell surface
The importance of proper ion transport to proper hydration
Normal chloride transport through the CFTR protein channel works to maintain salt, fluid, and pH homeostasis in various epithelial tissues.2,5
- Sheppard DN, Rich DP, Ostedgaard LS, Gregory RJ, Smith AE, Welsh MJ. Mutations in CFTR associated with mild-disease-form Cl- channels with altered pore properties. Nature. 1993;362(6416):160-164.
- Zielenski J. Genotype and phenotype in cystic fibrosis. Respiration. 2000;67(2):117‐133.
- Ward CL, Kopito RR. Intracellular turnover of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator. J Biol Chem. 1994;269(41):25710-25718.
- Wang W, Linsdell P. Conformational change opening the CFTR chloride channel pore coupled to ATP-dependent gating. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1818(3):851-860.
- Rowe SM, Miller S, Sorscher EJ. Cystic fibrosis. N Engl J Med. 2005;352(19):1992-2001.